
Zach had his first day of work today and absolutely LOVED it! I was so relieved. I have found myself getting nervous about his new job and yesterday I was so worried about it. I really don't know why I was stressing out about it, I don't have to do anything, it's not my job. Anyway, I was worried he would hate it, that he would be overwhelmed or that someone would be mean to him. I was so happy when he came home and he was, well... happy! He was more than happy actually he was excited about the job and in a really, really good mood. He had had a GREAT first day! We didn't really know when he was going to get off of work so I was pleasantly surprised when he got home at 5:45pm. I didn't even have time to get dinner ready before he got home! He had class until 12:30pm and so I assumed that meant he would have to work until 7:30pm or so. I had come to terms with the fact that I would most likely be spending the evening alone, so when I called at 5:30pm to see when I should plan on him for dinner and he was on his way home, that was a wonderful thing to hear! We talked all through dinner about his day and the conversation continued for another half hour after dinner about his job. It sounds like the guy he is taking over for is a really great guy. His name is Kurt. He has a lot in common with Zach. He is also a Construction Management student at BYU and also manages an apartment complex. He and Zach have one class together this summer and are in 3 of the same classes in the Fall! He seems really patient and very willing to help show Zach what he needs to know. It's been an interesting experience being the new guy because Zach gets the real story on both ends. When he met with his boss, his boss told him all the things he didn't really like about the way Kurt does things and then when he was working with Kurt, Kurt told him all the little things he doesn't like about the boss. The funny thing is that they both seemed to have the same complaint about each other... lack of communication. Knowing this gives Zach a huge advantage right off the bat. One of our biggest concerns about this job was that Zach would be asked to do something he didn't know how to do. It turns out that he is basically in charge of the same things on each house they build. He needs to install door knobs, build steps in the garage, lay the decking and install the appliances. These are all very manageable tasks that I'm sure Zach will be able to do without a problem.
This job really is such a blessing for our family. With the experience he gets at this job, I am fairly certain that he will be able to get any job he wants after graduation. A superintendent job is a position that you usually only get after graduation, so the fact that he will have been a 'super' for a year and a half before he even graduates is huge. We are excited to get about two months into the new job, to the point where it becomes more routine, but we couldn't have been happier about how the first day went. In most cases first days are the worst, but luckily for us Zach's first day was GREAT! :)
1 comment:
Congratulations on the new job. Glad the first day was a success! Kurt is lucky to have Zach. He'll do a great job!
Mom B.
Post a Comment