I hardly ever cut my hair. I like my hair long, Zach likes it long and more importantly haircuts are expensive! It just never really seems worth the money and the time and the risk. Yesterday, however, I decided to take that risk and it kicked my butt. What was so sad about all of this is that I had been dreaming about going and getting my haircut and then going to the department store and buying all new make-up from Clinique. I have never had expensive make-up, I always just buy what's on sale at the drug store. After many nights home alone, I was so excited to treat myself to an evening of fun! I was going to go to an actual salon and I even went on their website and picked a style that I liked. I left work early yesterday so that I could begin my evening of indulgence. I decided that I would get my haircut before shopping so that I could show off my new 'do at the stores. (bad idea.)
I went to the salon and it wasn't very busy. (Lucky or a bad omen?) I walked right in and showed the picture I had printed to my stylist. I told her, "My hair is kind of thin so I don't know if this is going to look good on me, what do you think?" She said it was not a problem, that you can layer any type of hair and it will look good. (Lie #1) Everything was going fine, I got my hair washed and we chatted a little bit... then she started chopping. She told me that she was going to do the basic cut and then dry it and then cut the layers. She gave me a straight cut, not too short (luckily) and then cut a chunk of my hair off in front and called it "bangs." Now I am no hair expert but I know what bangs are supposed to look like and what she did to my hair was not it! I guess I don't hide my emotions very well because she said, "They will look different when we dry them and touch them up." (Lie #2) Then she proceeded to dry my hair for like 45 minutes... I really don't have that much hair! As she was meticulously drying my hair I asked her if she had worked in the salon for very long (I was becoming suspicious). She said she had worked there since January (oh wonderful, so like 7 months?). I was grasping at straws at this point and asked her if she worked in another salon before this one (please, please say you did!) No surprise here, she was in school before coming to the salon, and not just any school, the reject hair school in Provo, they will let anyone in. My fate was sealed.
Once it was dry the "bangs" were looking super weird, but I was not too worried, there would be a touch up after all, right? Wrong! She cut some random strands of hair from all over my head and then called it done. I was in shock. I didn't know what to say. I did manage to ask her, "What is the deal with my bangs, isn't there a way to get them to kind of be swoopy or anything?" She said, "Oh yea I can do that" (Lie #3, they must not teach honesty in those hair schools). She then proceeded to cut them shorter! I am dying at this point and just want out so I tell her it is fine and get out of the chair before she can do any more damage. She can see the disappointment/horror on my face and says, "The girl in the picture has ethnic hair so yours is gonna lay a little different." (Different?! Different?! It is not even the same cut! And why did you tell me it would look good on anyone when I am sitting here looking like a 4 year old who had a bad run-in with a pair of mommy's scissors!?) As I was paying she asked if I wanted to schedule my next appointment... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Walking through the mall was nothing like I had hoped and dreamed about. I was embarrassed! I skipped the fancy make-up and went straight to my car to go home. I needed to get out of public, I threw my hair back up in a ponytail and head band and drove home as fast as I could. When I got home I did what any mature woman would do in my situation, I went to my bedroom and I cried. My poor husband. He didn't know what to make of it, he came in to console me, but words really can not change a bad haircut no matter how much I wish they could. Zach is so sweet. He made us dinner before he had to go back to work. He had to work all night long because he took the day off to study and take a final. His life is so busy right now.
After Zach left for work, I called my mom for some more sympathy. She was on a walk with a neighbor and couldn't talk. I knew I needed to get out of the house so I went to Target to pick up the make-up I needed (I guess I will never have nice make up after all). At Target, my mom called me back and I was able to rehash my awful experience with her. It helped. I got the make-up I needed and even tried on a few clothes (that didn't help, too many mirrors). On my way out, I browsed the movies and the movie Toy Story was on sale! I bought it. I probably shouldn't have, but I was in a weakened state and feeling bad for myself so I did. At home I took a shower and tried to make the most of my hair, but no amount curling or straightening or hair gel or spray could remedy the fact that it was an awful haircut. I put my hair up and bobby pinned my "bangs" and settled in to watch Toy Story.
P.S. If you ever suffer a bad haircut and need some advice check out this website for bad haircut survival techniques. It has helpful steps. I especially liked #2: Cry Your Eyes Out.
7 comments:
Brooke!!! NO!!! I'm so sorry you got a bad haircut!! I know how you feel - it's like, the worst feeling in the world. That's really sweet that Z brought you flowers - SO cute!! It's okay about not having nice makeup - I go crazy at CVS and that's about it. I have ONE eyeshadow from Sephora. We can be cheap makeup friends :) :) :)
I hope you have a good day today
I am terrified of getting ahir cuts (thats why I always seem to have split ends I guess) and I have ben thinking I really needed to get one recently but now you have totally convinced me I can wait!! But I am sure you actually still look great-- Zach is so lucky to have you! I'm so glad he knows it too!
I'm sorry too I just wanted to tell you I posted a comment and then deleted it because I saw I had a typo so i wanted to repost it but then I didn't fix the typo... But I didn't want you wondering who posted andthen deleted a comment! Next time I will just try to remember to proof read!
Boy!!! This entry made me sad except for the part abouto how sensitive Zach can be buying flowers. Go back to the shop adn insist another stylist make right the very bad haircut. They should do this. And here is a tip you should add. NEVER let a sister cut your hair. I did once (Terri) adn it scarred me forever as that is the haircut shown in my high school yearbook, freshman year. I LOVE THIS BLOG!
Oh brooke, that story sounds horrifying. I haven't ever received a bad hair cut and I am so NOT daring becuase i don't ever want to get a bad hair cut. I'm pretty sure i've never even really changed my hair. so how short is your hair? Are the bobby pins still holding up?
Luckily it is not too short, I can wear it up in a ponytail and just clip the "bangs"up. It's working out okay, hopefully in couple months I can get the bangs re-cut and actually wear them... we shall see.
Post a Comment