Friday, August 3, 2007

The end of a LONG week... TGIF!

This week has seemed really long. Maybe it's because we had a holiday last week, or maybe it's due to the fact that Zach hasn't gotten home from work before 9pm this whole week. Regardless of why it has seemed like a long week, I am certainly glad it is over. The week started with Zach working late into the night on Monday. I don't remember what I did to pass the time, but it went by very slowly. Tuesday, Zach came home for dinner. We left right after we finished eating to work on a house he is remodeling in Provo. With one trip to Home Depot I think it is safe to say we would not work well together at the same job... after about an hour of going back and forth with ideas of how to fix a seam in the carpet we came to a solution that I think we were both only half-happy about. Despite our indecisiveness, the solution we came up with actually worked! And it looked good! Zach then had to reinstall a toilet. This is when I got really bored and learned that even though being at home alone in the evenings is boring and lonely, atleast there is a TV and chores to keep me busy. Needless too say, I stayed home the rest of the evenings that Zach had to work.

On Tuesday, Zach found out that one of our friends was sick and could use some help. We offered to bring them meals. At our insistence they let us bring them meals on both Wednesday and Thursday. It was only after we made this commitment that we found out the dinners could not have dairy, chicken or beef in them. Hmm, let's see... that rules out EVERY recipe I have ever made in my entire life! It was a little stressful to get those meals out but I did it and learned a few things along the way. Lesson #1: I am a whiny, complaining hypocrite. I complained all day on Thursday about making the second meal and then when I delivered it I used phrases like, "It was my pleasure" and "No big deal", which in the end was true. It was no big deal and next time I have the opportunity to serve someone I hope I remember that. They were so gracious and kind, I felt really bad for all my whining. Lesson #2: Commit to one night first, see what you're getting into and only then offer a second night. In the end everything turned out great and it felt good to lend a helping hand to a friend in need. I'm sure any good karma that was headed in my direction was wasted with my whining and complaining along the way, but it felt good none the less.

Poor Zach worked so hard this week. He is taking a couple of classes this term and his job is turning out to be very time consuming. The houses he and David are building are scheduled to be finished at the end of the month and there is an endless list of things that need to be done before then. The list wouldn't have been so long had the guy Zach replaced not left everything for the last few weeks of construction, but such is life. So work is stressful enough, but then there is school on top of that. As classes are winding down the workload is piling up. (I'm so glad I am done with school!) Last night Zach was stressed and it was looking like it was going to be another long night. After I delivered dinner to our friends, and was humbled by Lesson #1, I decided I was going to make the most of my evening. Instead of wasting away in front of the TV waiting for Zach to come home, I decided to clean the apartment for him. Once I had the apartment clean, I had a brilliant idea! I decided to get Zach his favorite shake from Arctic Circle, OREO. It was so fun to surprise him with this heavenly treat when he got home. I also took solace in the reaffirmed fact that I know my husband well. When I told him I had a present for him he replied, "Is it food?" Of course it was! I excitedly went to the freezer and got the shake. Even if it didn't make his day any better, it made my day a whole lot better just to see his face when he saw the familiar red, white and blue cup with the long red spoon. Ice cream really does have an uncanny power to change people's moods. I respect that power. Even though we only had about 45 minutes before we needed to get to bed, that shake and the fact that it was almost Friday made those 45 minutes watching TV on the couch with Zach the best 45 minutes of my week.

2 comments:

Konfusion with a K said...

Brooke I love reading these lol. Good job with the carpet! I woulda been like uhhh...hire somebody to do it - hah! I hope you had a good day at work today and that you have an EXCELLENT weekend!!! I'm sitting here trying to figure out a way to add music to this thing...I'm addicted. GREAT. ;)

Take care hon

Angela and Mike said...

Yeah, I hate long weeks. Sounds like Z is pretty busy. Maybe he can help us build a house one day when we are rich! Deal? haha. Wow, that shake looks yummy...you know your husband well. Good job.