Friday, September 28, 2007

I won!


Every morning on my way to work I have to conquer the huge hill behind the Richard's Building. Some mornings I take my time and others I speed walk my way up the hill, trying to pass as many people as I can on the way. It is like a little race, a race that only I know about. You could say that because my opponents know nothing of the competition it is not a fair race, but I don't think so. You see, we are all trying to reach the same point at the same time, we all need to be on campus by 8am. If they aren't hurrying as fast as they possibly can, then they lose. Fair and square.

Today was a race day, as most Fridays usually are, and I was presented with noble competitors. One contender was a tall, long girl wearing flip-flops who I had been secretly racing since we crossed the street. No matter what I did I could not pass her on flat ground. Her legs were much longer than mine and it seemed like every time I inched a little closer to her she would speed up. It was very frustrating. Another girl had been behind me when we crossed the street, but decided to try and pass me on the hill. Poor choice my friend, poor choice. My final rival joined the race a little late, but was on a skateboard until the beginning of the hill.

As we approached the hill, I knew I was going to have to kick it up a notch in order to beat Long Legs McFlips. As it turned out, however, her choice of footwear sealed her fate. She just could not keep up the same speed all while trying to keep her sandals from falling off her feet. She proved to be an easy pass and I had her beat before we were half way up the hill. Once I was securely in the lead, I looked ahead to size up my next challenger. Much like McFlips, Tardy Skaterson looked much more daunting than he actually was. In the hustle and bustle of trying to balance his backpack and skateboard, he lost sight of the goal and slowed his pace enough for me to pass him with ease. I had a clear shot to the finish line but must have become overly confident in my victory because out of nowhere a girl that had been behind me throughout my entire trek came up and went for the pass. This was not acceptable. We were almost to the summit of the hill. Her late pass was a cheap shot, but I was determined to win, it had been a long week and I needed this. We were neck and neck until I lengthened my stride and took the lead! I won! I won!

Feeling pretty smug about my triumph I walked quickly into my building and clocked in. I made it to work in record time! Only 8 minutes from my front door to the clock! I knew then and there that today was going to be a wonderful day!

8 comments:

Rach said...

Congratulations on your victory! I biffed it once hard core at the bottom of that hill trying to casually "step" off my bike before it had stopped moving. Can I vicariously use your triumph as vindication for that embarrassing event?

Rach said...

p.s. I like your list of "things to look forward to". Any big plans for your birthday?

Angela and Mike said...

haha, this is hysterical. I love idea of a race. I think it's a universlly understood thing, well at least on campus. I'm surprised you didn't trip anyone to get ahead! haha, I'm proud of you Brooke. I hope you keep taking home the gold!

Beth schell said...

If I tried such a feat here, like racing up my stairs, I would be overwhelmed by the amount of moisture (sweat) that would be covering my body! At least Utah isn't as hot as Texas!

Konfusion with a K said...

Yeah Brooke!!! Good job! You're so funny- "Long Legs McFlips - I love you!

8 minutes! Wow! That's crazy! About the long legs thing, I HATE BEING SHORT for that reason - all my friends are like why do you walk so slow? Because I'm NOT walking slow, I have short legs and I'm walking at a good pace. Oh well.

Hope you win tomorrow too :)

Brooke said...

Rachel- You can always use my accomplishments as vindication for embarrassing moments, what are families for anyway?

Angela- I thought about your idea of tripping people for a while, what a great idea! Unfortunately, it would not be fair and I would be disqualified for sure.

Beth- Don't be fooled by my neglecting to post how tired and sweaty I was when I reached the top. Granted, I'm sure I was not as sweaty as I would have been in Texas, but I perspired none the less. How are you doing in Texas by the way!? Thanks for commenting on my post!

Kathryn- Try being married to a man a foot taller then you. I am always being told how slow I walk, which could be a reason why these races are so exhilarating for me. :)

Brooke said...

Oh and Rachel, no big plans for my birthday as of yet. I think we are just going out to dinner or something. The real celebration will take place in Mexico two days later! WAhoo!

Rach said...

By the way, after reading this, I almost bought you a trophy for your birthday rather than that gift card and shadowbox.