Friday, March 28, 2008

Zach, spammed.

My little sister in Idaho called Zach some time ago and asked for his help in finding a good deal on an external hard drive for her computer. Now, I wouldn't consider Zach or myself computer experts by any stretch of the imagination, but somehow my family thinks that we are, so they often call us for computer help. We are always more than happy to help out because their requests are always very doable.

The extent of my computer advice in the past has been:
  • "Turn the computer off and then back on."
  • "Is the laptop plugged in? You may need to charge the battery."
  • "Yes, you can change the font color in Word." To which said family member was very excited and responded with, "Really?! You can do that?!" (so cute!)
  • I have also shared the expert advice of, "Press CTRL, ALT, DELETE" ... they were amazed!
All of my computer advice always goes over really well; it works, they are impressed and my webmaster facade is perpetuated. My mom swears I should have gone into something computer related because I am "so good at computers!" It is true; I can cut and paste, open documents and even view pictures on the computer. If this qualifies me for a job in the computer industry, by all means sign me up! I'm sure it pays a whole lot better than the job I have now.

Back to my sister needing help... After learning that she needed a hard drive, we started looking for good deals online and in the stores. About a month later we found a great deal on Amazon.com. Zach emailed her to see if she would be interested. It was a limited time offer so I went ahead and called her to see if she wanted us to get it. When I called, I was a little surprised when she said she never got Zach's email. I was there when he sent it. Anyway, we went ahead and purchased the hard drive over the phone with her and had it delivered to her apartment in Idaho. Done and done.

That was a couple weeks ago. Earlier this week I got an email from my sister that read:

"ok, so just found out why I never got Zach's e-mail about the hard drives. it was in my spam folder!!!!! i just emptied it."

I responded in feigned offense with something clever about her "spamming my husband." She responded to my email this morning:

"NEVER! i wouldn't dream of it. He spammed himself when he put "hard drive" as the subject!"

Ahh, good point.

I will file that away with all my other super computer expert advice. Thanks Anne!

4 comments:

Rach said...

Well now that I know who the family computer guru is, I have some questions for you...

I feel that way with my family and cell phones. My voice is on my dad's answering machine because he couldn't figure it out. Even though he worked for Verizon for 20 years.

Kinzie Sue said...

Thanks for your comment! I love her to death too. Aren't you excited to have one of your own before you even know it! I am sure he is going to be just perfect and adorable in every way. How are you feeling these days?

Konfusion with a K said...

hahahah love it

Mimi Collett said...

hahaha. so true. and i love your pictures down the side, brooke! :)