Thursday, July 31, 2008

Baby Shots and Ice Cream Cones...

Today was Ryan's two month check up. THE two month check up. The one where the nurse sticks needles into babies' chubby little legs. The infamous vaccinations. No fun.

I arrived at the doctor's office a few minutes early, not wanting to be late for our 10am appointment. Silly me, I should have known. In true medical professional style, I was not called back until almost 11am... good thing I brought a good book (New Moon) and Ryan was sleeping. Once we were called back, the nurse weighed and measured Ryan and then we waited for the doctor. The doctor finally came in with Ryan's chart and it's official: my baby is a giant. He weighs 13.98 pounds and is 24.5 inches long. That is the 95th percentile for both weight and length! What the heck! I will say this much though, he is the cutest giant baby I have ever seen.

After the doctor gave Ryan a clean bill of health, it was time for the shots. Dun, dun, dun! We waited on the nurse for what seemed like an eternity. Side note: The nurse pretty much has the worst job ever. She is in charge of giving all the shots. She basically gets paid to make babies cry all day long. I do not envy her. The first vaccination was oral. Ryan simply had to drink the contents of a little tube. I have come to find that nothing with a baby is simple. I'm guessing he consumed maybe 30% and the other 70% came out the other side of his mouth all over his outfit. Typical. 30% was apparently enough to do the job though, because the nurse seemed pleased with it. Next came the shots. I didn't look too closely but the needles were long! Much too long for a baby if you ask me. Ryan didn't cry too hard, but he did seem shocked and offended each time he felt a needle go in. There were four shots total; two in each of his 95th percentile, chunky, marshmallow thighs. Poor guy.

As soon as Ryan got his pacifier back, he calmed right down and we headed home. As I was driving home, I was thinking about how we would have to take it easy for the rest of the day. Pretty much he can have whatever he wants. I find that spoiling him tends to ease my guilt pretty effectively. This could turn into a major problem down the road, but I read in a book that you can't spoil a baby in the first six months and I'm stickin' to it. I tried to think about what could help a person feel better after such a traumatic event. All I could come up with was ice cream. Since Ryan can't eat ice cream yet, I did the only thing I could do, I had a cone for the both of us. It was delicious and he'll get it sooner or later. I'm sure when he does it will make him feel 100x better. After all, it sure helped me!

3 comments:

linds said...

That's funny Brooke because Reese had shots on Tuesday and Jake said the same thing. He wanted to get ice cream, too. He had never gone with me before when Reese had to get the dreaded shots. It was cute to see him with her and suggest ice cream as well only we didn't end up getting any. Hmmm I need to talk to him about that one.

Empty Nester said...

This was such a great entry...it brought all the memories back when mine were babies. I could picture your experience so well. In fact after reading and feeling all the trauma, I think I need an ice cream cone as well!!!

Angela and Mike said...

How thoughtful of you to think to eat ice cream for your baby, after such a traumatic day :) haha. I'm glad things didn't go too badly with the shots, although that is a very sad pictures :( 95? WOW! Go baby!