We made it to the hospital right on time and got all checked in without a problem. He laughed and smiled and played while we waited to be called back. It wasn't until we got called back and were dressing him for surgery that his hunger hit and he started to get a little fussy. He was great once the nurse took him. There were so many things to look at and play with once the nurse had him. The nurse walked him down the hall and out of sight and Ryan didn't take a second look our way. I guess it's good that I have such a well adjusted baby, but a little protest would have been nice. I'm pretty sure our separation was more traumatizing for me than it was for him!
Zach and I waited in the waiting room during the procedure. When it was done the nurse came out and got us and led us back to where Ryan was. I had read that when babies and small children come out of anesthesia they usually cry. It's just such a weird feeling and they don't know how to handle it. So, I was expecting tears, but nothing could have prepared me for how inconsolable he was. Knowing that he was starving, I tried to feed him and he would eat for a couple seconds and then just scream and cry. It was heartbreaking. He cried for a good ten minutes or so before he threw up all over me. I don't know if it was because of the anesthesia or because he was crying so hard but I felt so bad for him. It is amazing how there can be so much going on around me but when my baby is crying, that is all I can focus on.
Ryan finally settled down and fell asleep. We put him in his carseat and went home. He stayed asleep for another three hours when we got home and woke up with a smile on his face, back to his old self. I was so happy to have my baby back! I will keep him on baby Tylenol today and the doctor gave us some eye drops to use for the next two weeks, but after that he should be as good as new! I'm so grateful that everything went as well as it did. Thank goodness!
Today we are just going to take it easy. Packing can wait.


Sorry the pictures are such bad quality. Zach took them with his cell phone. I don't know what I was thinking by not bringing my camera! Oh well, lesson learned.
5 comments:
Reading about Ryan coming out of the anesthesia make me a bit teary - I can't even imagine how horrible I would feel if that was Will. I'm so glad that it is over and that the surgery went well.
I'm so glad everything turned out okay and he's a happy boy now. That's so sad to think of him crying like that :( Poor guy. HOpefully that little tear duct we be PERFECT now.
Surgery is never fun, I hope you guys don't have to do it again anytime soon.
Ryan is such a trooper!
I am so glad everything went so well. It will be nice to have that taken care of and over with. Guess you got your money's worth out of your student insurance.
ps Love the new look of the blog page! Very nice.
I'm happy that the surgery turned out well! Ryan's smile melts every heart!
Post a Comment