Our ward out here does a weekly pool party thing over the summer. Each week someone in the ward who has a pool in their backyard opens it up to people in the ward to use. Today was the first pool party of the summer. I was determined to go. It has been a really slow transition into our new ward and I really wanted to get to know some of the other stay at home moms from church. Getting out of my comfort zone and meeting new people is really hard for me, so I had been nervous about this all day. Being new to this whole pool party thing, I didn't know if I was expected to bring something to eat or not. Luckily, I made some peanut butter cookies last night, so I was able to just throw them on a plate to bring with me.
Ryan woke up from his nap in just enough time for me to change him into his swimming suit and get everything together and ready to go. I didn't have enough hands to carry everything to the car in one trip so I left the cookies on the counter and made a mental note, "don't forget the cookies!" I dropped the diaper bag, towels and Ryan's floaty off at the car and went back for the cookies. I loaded Ryan into his carseat and we were off!
We got to the house and were greeted by a couple of really cute girls from the ward who helped watch Ryan last Sunday while Zach and I gave our talks. They love Ryan and, in turn, I love them. Anyway, I was faced with the same predicament of not being able to carry everything from the car into the backyard. I decided to leave the cookies and just see if it was a potluck situation or not. Everyone at the party was really friendly and I got our stuff all situated at a chair. As I scoped the situation out, I realized that everyone had brought some food to share. Thank goodness I had those cookies in the car! After a lull in the conversation I decided to go back out to the car and grab the cookies.
When I got to the car the strangest thing happened. I couldn't find the cookies anywhere! I thought I must have been going crazy because I specifically remembered getting them from the house because I remembered Ryan trying to grab them out of my hands. weird. I went back to the party and had a good time getting to know some really nice women in our new ward. Ryan came pretty close to choking to death on a piece of cantaloupe which kept things nice and interesting. That boy and his party tricks, I swear.
After about an hour and a half at the party it was getting close to Ryan's nap time so we headed home. I was determined to figure out what happened to my cookies. So once we got home I put Ryan in his stroller and went cookie hunting. Sure enough, in the middle of the road right outside our neighborhood, I saw about two dozen round brown spots. My cookies. After all my planning and mental noting, I had left them on the roof of the car! Who does that??! I mean I hear about people doing that kind of thing from time to time and I think, "How dumb would you have to be?"
Now I know.

The worst part of this whole thing is that I initially made the cookies for some new neighbors we had move into our development. We tried to drop them off last night, but no one answered the door. As I was getting the cookies ready to take over this morning, I decided to just use the cookies that I had set aside for our new neighbors as well. So instead of just one dozen of my cookies sacrificed to the street gods, my entire batch was wasted.
Sad day.
5 comments:
Wow, I'm impressed with your documentation! Hopefully you at least helped a squirrel or two with a little snack. Or maybe a few lizards since you're in the desert.
BOOOOO! I'm so sorry! I haven't yet left something on the roof of my car but I know that day is coming! haha. I hope you have better luck next time hon! :(
Sorry, but I laughed out loud. During your blog I was waiting to hear that Ryan had eaten them and you found crumbs in his car seat (or hidden) so the leaving them on the roof of the car was a twist. Just keep in mind, now you can say "been there, done that"!
I think subconsciously you put them out as pigeon bait!
1. I think it is so cool that your ward has weekly pool parties. I'm intensely jealous. How does Ryan like the pool?
2. That's hilarious. It reminds me of one Sunday when I put my scriptures on top of my car, and then my brother drove home, and the scriptures stayed on top of the car. They actually didn't blow off until we made it to my neighborhood (about ten minutes into the drive), which I thought was pretty impressive. They were scattered in the street and yard of a neighbor a few blocks away. Sigh. Life.
3. Sad, sad waste of cookies. :(
Post a Comment