Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Only a dad...

On Saturday, Zach and I ditched Ryan and went to the Yanni Voices concert. It was a lot of fun, considering I had no idea what Yanni actually was. I mean I had heard of him but always figured his stuff was for "old" people. I really enjoyed it. I guess that's saying something...

Ahem, anyway, the concert went pretty late and then we got to go backstage which put us getting home even later. We finally got into bed at about 1am. I realized it has been over a year since I have stayed up past 11pm. I guess that's saying something as well...

We have 9am church, so as you can imagine Sunday naps were in order. (Okay, I'm old! I get it. Shut up.) We got home from church at noon and Ryan went right down for his afternoon nap. Zach got settled on the couch in front of some golf and was asleep in no time. (Watching golf tends to do that to you.) I, on the other hand, wasted some time online and got something to eat. When Ryan is asleep I have to make the most of it. So I checked about a billion blogs. Real productive, I know.

I let an hour slip by before I headed up to bed for a much needed snooze. Since Ryan had already been asleep for an hour there was a chance that he could wake up at any moment. Zach had already been sleeping for a while so when I went upstairs, I left the baby monitor on full blast downstairs next to him. If Ryan woke up, Zach would have to get up as well and I could continue sleeping the day away. Or so I thought...

I had been sleeping for about 45 minutes when Ryan woke me up on the monitor. He was just talking away. He rarely wakes up crying these days and he was just having a grand old time in his crib by himself. He was being pretty noisy about it too. I waited and listened for Zach to either turn the monitor off or go get Ryan out of bed. I waited. and waited. and waited. It never happened! Finally I got out of bed and went into Ryan's room. We then headed downstairs to see what Zach was doing. This is what we found:

He was sound asleep. Only a dad could sleep through their baby babbling on the monitor with the volume turned all the way up. I heard it all the way upstairs in my bedroom, with the door closed, while sleeping.

I guess I'm not as old as I thought.

Zach, however, is clearly losing his hearing and continued to sleep for another half hour. I'm just saying...

6 comments:

Holly said...

That totally sounds like something Curt would do--how funny! I'm so proud of you for getting a babysitter and going on a date to a CONCERT! How fun! How did Ryan do with the babysitter? Did the babysitter put him to bed? We've only ever left Tucker after he's asleep, so he's never known. I don't know when I'll be brave enough to venture out earlier than bedtime...! And are you guys really in bed by 11:00 every night? Call me old for thinking that is so great, but I'm impressed! For some reason we still have a hard time getting to bed before midnight. Sorry this is getting so long. One last thing--that video of Ryan walking is seriously so, so cute! I love the cute noises he makes, and I love how he has his hands in the air. What a cute boy!

Anni Winings said...

I love reading your blog! You have such a great style; and I love reading about you being a home mom because you truly seem to love and appreciate it. Not many people do these days. Ryan is adorable!

Jodi said...

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Angela and Mike said...

haha. Wow, you guys ARE old. Sorry we kept you up so late :) We take full responsibility for Zachs sleepy behavior.

Mimi Collett said...

Haha. That definitely is the difference between a mom and dad. ;) Sometimes during the last month, Jeff would say, "wow, so Jill didn't get up at all during the night, huh" when I had gotten up once or twice. Haha. And I'm so excited and jealous that you went on a real date. :)

Rach said...

That's awesome that you went to Yanni. Don't worry, he is totally hip.