Monday, October 26, 2009

Snazzy Pillows.

So I've seen this idea on a few different blogs and I decided to give it a shot. With my new accent wall I have been on the lookout for pillows to pull the teal color into the living room. Today I went to Pier One and found these snazzy place mats in the clearance bin for $2 a piece and the teal stripe matches my wall perfectly! What a deal!

Step One: Take a seam ripper and open the seam of the place mat wide enough for your hand to fit through.

Step Two: Put stuffing into the place mat.

Step Three: Pin the opening closed and use a sewing machine or hand sew the seams together again.

Step Four: Voila! You have a cheap, snazzy accent pillow!

I am in love with this idea. I'm thinking of hitting up the clearance bin after holidays and making some holiday accent pillows. I could even do some seasonal pillows or make some for our guest bedroom. I've even seen some place mats with beading and fancy little embellishments! The possibilities are endless!

before. boring. bland. blah.

after.
I also found some great bigger pillows at Home Goods that match my paint color exactly.
It was a good day.

Roxy spent the afternoon in the backyard while I worked on my projects. The cord to the sewing machine was just a little too tempting. When I went out to check on her, she had made herself comfy on our camp stool. Sometimes I forget how much work she is and just think she is cute. Sometimes.

6 comments:

*Meg Larsen* said...

HA! it's brilliant! I'm so doing this the next time I have a minute to get crafty.

Kinzie Sue said...

Those are so cute and cheery! And I LOVE the color of your accent wall. One of the most exciting things about owning a home will be painting and no longer having blah white walls.

Mimi Collett said...

Fantastic idea! Those pillows look so great, Brooke! :) Hehe, I love that you wrote that sometimes you can forget how much work Roxy is and think she's cute. :) At least you have those sometimes!

Jodi said...

The pillows look great. I think you are quickly rising to the status of Craft queen. I am so proud and impressed...and even a little envious. I stand in awe of anyone who gets an idea and acts on it right away. I usually think about it for a year and then take another year to figure it out and then maybe on year three, if I remember what the original idea was, I might maybe do something about it. I get tired just writing about it. Enjoy your pillows and new accent wall!

Mom & Dad said...

You are so gifted in the home decor area, Brooke! You sure come up with some great ideas! Glad Roxy is getting a little easier to take care of and allow some "me" time for Mom! What does the backsplash tile look like? I am still trying to plan mine!

Lindsey said...

I only hope I can be HALF as cute and crafty as you when I have my own house. Or maybe, I'll just move next door and hire you to decorate my house. And if you move away, I'll just have to stalk you relentlessly via video chat so you can continue to help me in my lack of skills. Or I'll just be a complete creep and follow you around the country...yeah.