On Friday night, Zach and I went to a formal dinner with some other people from his company. It was put on by the Association of General Contractors and only 10 guests per company were invited. We were two of the ten. I guess in actuality we were their #11 and 12 seeing as we were invited after two of the other guys' wives bailed. Any which way, I'll take it! Zach was invited by the Vice President of the company, so how could we
not go? It was over 100 bucks a plate. Not too shabby. The way I figure it, why would a company pay $250 to feed us dinner just to turn around and fire us after the New Year? Do I smell some job security? In this economy? Heck no. But the steak and salad
was delicious!
Here is what I look like when I completely ignore my baby for two hours to curl my hair and do my make up. Also, I had to borrow that necklace because I own pretty much no nice jewelry anymore thanks to my necklace pulling/breaking monster. Zach spent all of 20 minutes throwing on a suit and he looks awesome. So not fair.

There was a silent auction before they served dinner so for the first 40 minutes or so we were wandering around a ballroom filled with different items you could bid on. It took a little while to find people from Zach's company, but we finally did run into them. There was another young couple who graduated from BYU at the dinner whom Zach had told me about in the past. I was excited to finally meet them. That is, until I saw them. Turns out Zach's "work Will" is the same dude who took me out on my first BYU date freshman year. Now this would not have been awkward or weird if the date six years ago had not been so awkward and weird. To make a long story short, I talked about my highschool boyfriend the entire date. There was no second date. It. was. bad.
I was hoping he would not recognize me. No dice. Luckily though, we just glossed it over as having had a class together. Which was true. We had calculus together. The end.
This experience leaves me with an early New Year's Resolution. In 2010, I resolve to not have any more awkward interactions with people. You never know when you may have to sit down to a fancy shmancy dinner at the same table six years down the road and make small talk with their wife for over an hour. The fact that I am married and no longer dating makes this resolution almost achievable. Almost.
The fact that I am me, makes it a challenge.
Here's to 2010! Cheers!
7 comments:
haha, I didn't remember the part where you talked about your HS boyfriend the whole date. Too funny...
You looked gorgeous by the way. And Ryan is the best!
Brooke you look awesome in the picture!!! There is no shame in a little uncomfortable reunion when you look great so don't sweat it.
That is hilarious! And you look gorgeous!!!
What a great looking couple....you looked fabulous!
You both look fabulous.
This is better even than PROM!
Brooke, you look gorgeous! Hot mama. :) I love your hair and get up. And that story is really funny. I totally feel your pain. I sometimes wonder why I get in those situations, where my mouth keeps going and my brain is screaming stop and I'm wondering if we can move so I can never see that person again. Sigh. Why do I do that to myself sometimes? :(
Agreed, truly gorgeous.
The first week we moved to Charlottesville, I discovered that I went on a date with the brother of one of my new friends here (wife of Chris's classmate). He is a med student at UVA too so I see him all the time. I vaguely remember that the biggest problem with the date was that I was the sophomore version of myself. So I can understand a little of how you feel...at least you looked smashing!
Post a Comment