Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kindergarten

My stomach hurts. I just dropped Ryan off for his first day of Kindergarten. I know every mother says how crazy it is that their kid is starting school... blah, blah, blah... but it is CRAZY that MY kid is starting school! He is so brave. There is a drop off lane in front of the Kindergarten rooms. The other moms were parking and walking their kids in, making a mess of the drop off system. I pulled up, Ryan hopped out and headed straight for his classroom- didn't look back once. Half of me was so proud and the other half of me was so sad that he didn't need me as much as I needed him. I realized that if I were to walk him in it would have been due to my own insecurities, not his. Why weigh him down with my anxiety about school? He's EXCITED! 


He woke up today knowing that today was THE day! I gave the boys a bath and then we ate breakfast. I had made Zach breakfast earlier in the morning before he left for the airport (he's in CA all this week. dumb.) and there was a lingering bacon smell. Upon walking downstairs Ryan said, "It smells like bacon! I want bacon for breakfast." So the boys ate bacon. and pancakes. and strawberries.


After breakfast we headed out the door to Wal Mart to buy a backpack for Ryan. Apparently, we are not as unpacked and "settled" as I would like to think. I went crazy looking for his backpack last night with no luck. He was excited to get a new one though. He chose The Justice League. No surprise there. Brady insisted on getting one too. I cave when I am emotionally comprised so we bought two identical backpacks at Wal Mart this morning. You won today, Brady-man.

Ryan is in the afternoon session of Kindergarten so he doesn't have to be at school until 12:35pm. We got home from the store and it was only 10:00am. Luckily, a few neighborhood kids were playing in the yard so Ryan headed outside to play with friends before lunch. Keep in mind I bathed him and did his hair and put him in new school clothes as soon as he rolled out of bed this morning. After jumping on the trampoline, coloring with chalk and participating in a little water gun fight- I had to wash his face, redress him and redo his hair after lunch to be ready for school again.

After lunch we snapped a few pictures for Zach (and the neglected blog) and headed off to school!

Ready to take on the world!

So that's it. He's gone. I hope he likes it. I hope he doesn't feel uncomfortable or feel like he doesn't know what he's doing. It hurts my heart to let him out into the world. The world better be good to him. Or I will punch it in the face.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Ryan is so brave! What a big boy. And what a good mom you are! I hope his first day is going fantastically well. Tucker already said he thinks preschool is boring & for little kids--and that he's ready for big kid school. It may be a long year. :) I can't believe how fast they grow up!

Mimi Collett said...

I was wondering how you were managing to fit so much into your morning! That's cool that your district still does half day. That is becoming increasingly rare these days. His handwriting really improved a lot!

Empty Nester said...

Oh my...you will never ever forget this day. Brady looks mad...to be left behind.

Janice Richardson said...

I feel exactly the same way about caving when I'm emotionally compromised or stressed! Happy beginning of the school year. Hope the day went well for everyone!

Jodi said...

He is brave and so are you. It takes a lot of courage and faith to send your kids out into the world. I am so glad that Ryan is ready for the challenge. As for the Moms left behind, we just learn that prayer becomes more and more vital as the years go on.