Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween 2013

First off, I got a new phone. An iPhone! I am pretty good at catching trends about five years too late so, it fits. My mind is officially blown and I'm sure I'm not even close to using it the way I could be. It was a good time to get one seeing as a certain 30 year old man (not naming names) spilled a glass full of milk on our MacBook Air- killing it in the process. Now there's some spilt milk worth crying over! So... long story made longer by me typing it out, I have no access to a computer to do important tasks like checking Facebook, email and blogging. Which brings me back to my initial point that my phone is awesome. I can do all those things and more (Instagram, anyone? Holla!) using my cute little green phone. Also of note, all my pictures from the last several months are on my old phone so we are skipping ahead (behind?) to Halloween 2013. Whew! Here we go!

Our ward had a Halloween party on Wednesday night. With Zach working late that left me to get the kids ready and to the party on my own. Zach would meet us at the church after work. While Camden napped I got myself ready. For the past 9(!) years I have been a cat/leopard for Halloween. I bought these sweet ears from Shopko my freshman year at BYU and never looked back. Anyway, I was all ready with my ears on and make up done when Camden woke from his nap. I brought him downstairs and got him all set up to eat some baby food. It wasn't until he locked eyes with me to take that first bite that he noticed my whiskers and black nose. He freaked out. It was so sad. The more I talked and tried to comfort him the more hysterical he got. His stranger danger was on full alert. He had no idea who I was. He didn't eat one bite of his dinner.

With a wailing baby as our background noise I moved on to getting Ryan and Brady ready. For the record, they loved my costume and Ryan even said I looked cool. Amazingly we were in the car at 6:31pm. It's just a minute drive down the street so we were practically on time! I made sure to wear Camden in the baby carrier facing away from me because he was still thrown into hysterics at the sight of me at this point.

Zach met us there and we had dinner and let the kids play a few games before it got too late and we had to get everyone in bed. We've started framing our basement so Zach was a little eager to get kids in bed so we could get back to work on that. 

Ryan got to wear his costume to school on Halloween and they did a little Halloween parade for the parents. Brady was super excited to see the parade. He had visions of the BYU homecoming parade and couldn't wait to catch some candy! Despite my efforts to convince him that it was not in fact that kind of parade, he turned to me after all the kids had walked by and asked, "when is it going to be the parade?!" Sad day. Ryan looked awesome in his wolverine costume though and he even struck a pose as he walked by us. I was so proud. I was not, however, proud of my camera (phone) skills. The pictures turned out blurry. 

Zach won dad of the year and came from work to watch the Halloween Kids Costume Walk (as we've now come to call it). He came home to eat lunch with me and I asked what his work was doing for Halloween. (He works for Adobe and they always go all out for Halloween). Turns out they had free gourmet lunch, hired professional Zombies to walk around and then at 12:30pm the zombies all danced to Thriller. Yea, Ryan's costume walk was so much better, I'm sure. Needless to say, I don't think Zach will be joining us next year for Halloween lunch. :) 

After school and once Zach got home from work we got geared up for round two. Brady's hair was equally awesome the second time around. 

A family in our neighborhood organizes a potluck every year so we decided to go to that. Being new to a neighborhood is tricky. I feel like we need to go to everything we're invited to for at least the first year. It ended up being fine, although it was right during Camden's evening nap which resulted in a grumpy skunk for the second night in a row. We were able to hook up with another family to go trick or treating with so overall it was a win. 

A few houses into trick or treating it started sprinkling and that's all it took for me to throw in the towel and take our fussy Camden home. I figured someone should be at our house to hand out candy anyway. Camden was exhausted and went to sleep fairly easily once I got him home. Zach and the boys kept trick or treating for another hour or so- until Brady's bag was too heavy for him to carry. 

Anne and Spencer were nice enough to come over and sit with the house and a sleeping Camden while I caught up with the boys for the last couple houses. After we got the boys in bed, Anne and Spencer stayed a little longer so Zach and I could go out to Home Depot and dream about finishes for the basement. And since no one actually eats a meal's worth of food at a neighborhood potluck, we ended the night at Chick-fil-a. A Happy Halloween indeed.

The end. 

My friend came to the door to pick her little boy up from our house this morning and when Brady heard the door knock he got excited and said, "maybe it's trick or treaters!" 
Also, this whole Halloween season when he sees a ghost decoration he calls it a snowman. I decided not to correct him. Sometimes 3 year olds are the best. Sometimes. 


4 comments:

Jodi said...

So fun to read about your Halloween adventures! Sounds like everyone had fun. Well, except maybe Camden. And now, let the holiday season begin!

Mimi Collett said...

Camden is the cutest, saddest little skunk I have ever seen.

Agh. Stranger danger makes life so difficult. Poor mommy. Poor baby. Alice is just about done with that stage—thank goodness!

You are an awesome cat.

Brady had the best Thor hair ever!!

Wow. Adobe does do Halloween in style.

And I haven't said anything about Ryan, so I feel like I should. Ha. Um. That's crazy that he's in kindergarten!! (I know it's a few months in, but I still feel this way!)

Holly said...

Haha, love it all! I really am so sad we weren't able to hook up for Halloween this year. (Tucker & Calvin were pretty upset about it too--they kept saying they would rather be with Ryan & Brady.) Next year for sure. I'm glad you still were able to have fun though! Your boys were seriously so cute--the costumes turned out great! And P.S. Someone should tell Adobe to ditch the gourmet lunch & dancing zombies...and hire Curt instead. :)

Rach said...

Love it. And I love that Brady calls them snowmen. J saw a ghost window cling and said, "Look, I found the Holy Ghost!"