Tuesday, November 4, 2014

October Happenings

For Zach's birthday I got us tickets to see Jim Gaffigan in Salt Lake. The show wasn't until the first part of October and his birthday is the first day of September, so we had been anticipating the show for a few weeks. Lindsey and Rick were kind enough to stay with the boys while we went out to eat and went shopping before the show that started at 9pm. It was fun to do something different from the usual 'dinner and a movie' date. 


One Monday in October I looked out my side window and saw a guy measuring off the lot next to our house. In the time it took me to drop Ryan off at school and run a couple of errands they had started excavating and there was a huge hole where the lot used to be. They dug clear up to the property line- our sprinkler pipes were exposed and everything (they even broke the line in one spot- I had Zach come home  from work to handle it and the workers fixed it the next day). I always knew when we moved in next to a vacant lot that a new house was a possibility but it still came as a surprise to me. There was no advance notice at all and things have not run "smoothly" (I have lots of stories...). Now I am just anxious to have it built already. It's super annoying living next to a construction zone. It's dirty and noisy and really no fun at all. I hear the people moving in are nice which I'm excited about, but until then... Grrr!


We made caramel apples for family night. I had never successfully made a caramel apple and I still haven't. They always turn out rock hard or so liquidy that the caramel just drips off. The caramel was too drippy this time around, but the kids didn't care. They loved dipping the apples and even ate a few slices- dipped in caramel of course.


For as annoying as the construction is to me, my kids love it. When they had the big excavator out my boys would often be found lined up in front of my kitchen window taking it all in. For a few days there was a huge pile of fill dirt on the lot. Brady loved to go out there and climb it.



Roxy continues to be the most patient dog. Camden really has taken an interest in her lately. I can usually count on him playing with her in the front room while I make dinner. More often than not I find him like this. I'm pretty sure she just loves the attention.


I turned 30 in October. 30. Can you believe it!? I made the mistake of cutting my hair a week before my birthday. It is definitely a 30-year old hair cut. It probably wasn't the best timing, but I'm making it work. I actually am really excited to be 30. A couple highlights of my birthday day were a visit from my friend, Holly, in the morning and then a lunch date with my friend, Loraleigh, in the afternoon- I wish I had thought to take pictures . I am so grateful for great friends in my life. They really are the best. And speaking of great friends- my neighbors threw me a cute little get-together in the backyard- complete with invitations.


Zach and the boys got me presents and Zach topped the night off by making me a delicious molten chocolate lava cake. It was so good!


We had such a mild autumn in Utah this year. There were 80 degree days throughout October. I have been loving it! I took the younger boys to the park a few times during the month and we had a blast. I love when my babies get to a 'fun park age'. Camden has finally gotten to a point where he has fun at the park whether I am right there with him or not. And he is stable enough on his feet that I don't feel like I have to hover over him anymore. It really is a wonderful thing!



As per tradition, Anne and I ran in the Cougar Run 5K in conjunction with BYU's homecoming. I was so happy to have Holly run it with us this year too. I had been running pretty consistently since about April and it seemed to have paid off! I got my fastest time yet finishing in 26 minutes and 19 seconds. I hope to do even better next October although it has now gotten too dark to run in the morning before Zach goes to work. I'm realizing I will have to look for something other than running to keep me busy this winter. This was the first year that we stuck around after the race to watch the parade. The kids loved it and it is definitely something I see us doing again in the future.


I have been volunteering at Ryan's school once a week. I bring the little boys along and I work in the library rotating the Take Home books for the kids in Ryan's class. So far it hasn't been too bad. We go on Thursdays and it is fun to have something to do that gets us out of the house. While the weather is nice, we've been walking over to the park right next to the school as a reward for Brady and Camden after I volunteer. They are such fun little side-kicks. I really do enjoy hanging out with them everyday!


Brady no longer takes scheduled naps. In fact, now that he has a friend down the street who is happy to play with him all-day-everyday we rarely even do quiet time. Just about every three days, however, I find Brady passed out in random places around the house. Poor little guy still needs his rest!


Speaking of needing rest... We met Kristen and her kids at the zoo last week. Charlotte and Camden were such good little troopers. Each of them skipped naps to come to the zoo and they both fell asleep within minutes of each other right before we were getting ready to leave to go home. They looked so cute, we had to get a picture.


Brady and Nathan had a blast running around the zoo all afternoon. They spent forever going down a slide in the play area. It is fun to see their little relationship take shape. It makes me wish we could get these cousins together more often!


At the end of the month we went to watch the BYU basketball team scrimmage itself in the Cougar Tip Off. Both Ryan and Brady were so excited to go to a real BYU basketball "game". They had been talking about it nonstop for days leading up to it. It is so fun to watch them develop interests and really enjoy the things that we enjoy.


We got there early to grab good seats. I was so proud of how well all three of my boys did watching the game. We stayed until the very end and everyone even had energy to walk to the car afterward! The game got out at 9 pm, so it was pretty impressive. The boys chose to sit in the three seats right in front of Zach and I. I loved watching them from behind. They thought they were so big. We got a bag of kettle corn to share and I think that kept Brady and Camden entertained for most of the time. We are excited for the BYU Basketball season to begin! Go Cougars!


Also in October: a trip to Arizona for my Grandpa Bailey's funeral, Grandma Jodi bonus time (thanks to the funeral), several trips to the pumpkin patch, and Halloween! More posts to come!

2 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

I can't imagine what it would be like to have Daniel just nap when he needed to. It sounds wonderful. And you get the funniest pictures of his random nap locations.

Yay for a real date! :)

Your new blog banner looks great.

I'm a little jealous of getting to take your family to a BYU basketball game. How fun.

And that is a truly fantastic dirt pile. And construction won't last forever! :) I'm amazed at how quickly they got things going. Thank goodness they fixed the damage they caused.

Jodi said...

I dream about Zach's molten chocolate cake! And I laughed out loud at the picture of Brady crashed on the couch. You really need to make a post exclusively of pictures of Brady napping. It is hilarious!