Monday, January 12, 2015

Ryan's Half Birthday

Ryan's birthday is in June. Summer birthdays are awesome... but there's something kind of special about celebrating your birthday at school with your class. This year, Ryan's teacher offered to celebrate half birthdays for the summer birthday kids. She told us at back-to-school night in September and I came home, put it on the calendar and then promptly forgot about it. Ryan, however, did not forget. In fact he remembered... at about 9pm the night before. Doh!

We were on our way home from a late night with friends. "Mom! Tomorrow is my half birthday! I want to bring donuts to my class!" One quick run to Walmart later and we were set. Or so I thought.

Over breakfast the next morning Ryan started asking Brady what he was going to get him for his half birthday. I felt a need to stop that conversation in it's tracks. No presents for half birthdays I said. Ryan asked, "Why?" Because it's not your real birthday and Brady doesn't have money to buy you a present. "Well, you could give him the money to buy me a present." I said, "I don't have money to buy you a half birthday present either." 

-Lightbulb goes off over Ryan's head- 

"No money? Well, that's okay. I have money!" He ran upstairs and brought down his coin bank. Along with the bank came very specific instructions. "1. Take the coins to Walmart. 2. Buy me an Avengers Lego set. 3. Bring it home. 4. Wrap it and have it ready for me when I get home from school." 

How can you argue with a kid who wants to buy himself a half birthday present?!

So we did as we were told. 

1. We took the coins to Walmart. 


I highly doubted that he would have enough for a Lego set, but sure enough...


$22!? He's been holding out on me!

2. We bought him an Avengers Lego set.


And some Bubble Tape bubble gum for good measure. It came out to just about exactly what he had in his bank. I think I had to supplement like 6 cents or something.


3. We brought it home and (4.) wrapped it and had it ready for him when he got home from school.


We put it under the Christmas tree. I even added a little tag. "Happy 1/2 Birthday! To: Ryan From: Ryan"

(Not pictured) He was thrilled!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

This is hilarious. That kid and his tricks!

Mimi Collett said...

Good thinking, Ryan! That is a pretty impressive plan, and that is an impressive amount of change. I'm a horrible mother. I used to take quarters out of my kids' banks to use on the toll road before we got the E-Z Pass.

My birthday is June 26. I remember teachers who let all of the summer birthdays celebrate together on the last day of school. Half birthdays are a much better idea. Although my half birthday would be December 26 and thus still on a school break. I remember one teacher in holiday who chose "unbirthdays" for all of the kids like me. Mine was March 1. Sometimes on March 1, I still remember it and kind of give myself a mental high five, like "yay! I have an UNbirthday, and it's today!" I guess technically every day that isn't your birthday is your unbirthday, but I still get excited about March 1 sometimes.

Mimi Collett said...

*one teacher in high school* is what I had intended to say . . .

Empty Nester said...

He is going to rule the world some day with his logic!