Monday, May 25, 2015

Spring Break 2015

Spring Break started off cold and rainy. We took it slow on Monday morning, having just returned from St. George late the night before. We had breakfast and ended up doing puzzles and watching cartoons for most of the morning. 


By afternoon we were itching to get outside. It was pretty windy so we thought we'd try our hand at flying kites. Ryan constructed his own plastic bag kite and I brought our other kites for Brady and Camden. In the end it was too windy to get the kites up in the air- we moved on to Plan B and headed to the wooden park in Pleasant Grove.



We had much better luck at the park. Because of the crappy weather, we virtually had to the whole place to ourselves. I'd taken Brady and Camden to this park a few times during the school year but Ryan was never with us. Brady was so happy to have his buddy back and he and Ryan played together on their own for a long time. That left just me and Camden and I have to admit- I loved the one on one time we got!




The sun did finally come out after we had been at the park for about an hour. We were all very happy to see it!


Don't let Camden's face fool you. He begged me over and over to help him hang on these rings. He could actually stay up for quite a long time.



My favorite part of Spring Break had to be the leisurely mornings. School day mornings are not my favorite- trying to get everyone fed and dressed and ready to be out the door does not bring out the best in any of us- so we soaked in and enjoyed our lazy Spring Break mornings. One morning Ryan asked me to teach him how to do the dishes (say what?!)


At one point he said to me, "I don't know why you and Grandma Jodi don't like doing the dishes. I LOVE doing the dishes!"


Spoiler Alert! He has never done the dishes since. 

One afternoon during Camden's nap I got to work on the birthday presents for my little Primary class. Last year I did some quiet books for sacrament meeting and I planned to do the same for my kids this year but then they moved Zach and I up with our class so we ended up with the same group of kids. After some brainstorming I came up with these cute quote blocks. I have a boy version and a girl version (which is convenient since we have a set of boy-girl twins in the class). I felt pretty handy buying a 2x4 and cutting it down to size. I sanded down the blocks and painted them. Then I modge podged the image on and sprayed them with some finishing gloss. I am super happy with how they turned out. 


Ryan and Brady painted their own blocks and we had some Ninjago pictures printed at Costco that they modge podged on. I should have taken a picture of their blocks. They turned out great! It was fun to do a little craft project with them.

Proof that the sun did finally come out during Spring Break:


We decided to go exploring one afternoon. There is a network of trails behind the High School that I have always been interested in so we packed up the dog and our best walking shoes and decided to go see what there was to see.


We ended up discovering an awesome biking/walking trail that was nice and flat and seemed to go on for forever. We decided to invite our friends, the Andersons, to go explore the trail further the next day and bring picnic lunches to eat along the way. The older boys brought their bikes and I brought the stroller for Camden. We followed the trail for about a half hour (stopping for a few Geo-Cache sites along the way) and ended up at a fun park with picnic tables. It was perfect! The kids had a blast playing at the park and everyone made it back to the car in one piece. I think our bike ride to the park was the highlight of Spring Break. We have plans to do it again this summer for sure.


The Tulip Festival was going on at Thanksgiving Point so Zach and I decided to go walk the gardens for our date night on Saturday. They did not disappoint.

I loved having Ryan and Brady home for the week and it made me so excited for summer break!

No comments: