Thursday, December 13, 2007

It's all fun and games until your car won't start

Today I took a short lunch so I could leave work early. Zach had class tonight and we needed to go to Costco, so we figured getting a half hour head start would be a good thing. So I left work at 4:30pm, clocked out and went outside ready for an enjoyable trip to Costco. Only when I heard Zach try to start the car, I knew our plans had changed. It did not sound good. By all accounts it was dead. At first we thought we just needed a jump so we asked the friendly guy next to us in the parking lot if he could help us out. We got all hooked up and Z tried to turn the engine, but it was useless, our car would not start.

At this point it was 4:45pm and I am thinking I should have just gone back to work. Luckily, Zach's mom got Z a membership for AAA. (She's the BEST!) We didnt have our membership number or AAA's phone number though because Zach didn't have his membership card on him. We tried to call mom for the membership number and the phone number but couldn't get through. Thank goodness for google text. Zach got the number and the woman at AAA was super helpful. I officially love AAA now. He explained the problem and told her that we needed a tow. She suggested we first try out the battery service they have; in case it was just our battery.With the battery service they come out to where you are broken down and test your battery and then if you need a new one they will install it and dispose of your old one; only charging you for the new battery and install. I was skeptical at first. It was going to be a 45 minute wait for the battery guy and then if that wasn't the problem we would still have to wait for a tow. Zach was pretty sure it was the battery though so we opted for the battery service.

Then we waited. We waited and waited and waited. We waited in the car, in the snow because we were in a service stall at BYU and did not want to get a ticket on top of everything else. Finally our knight in a big yellow truck arrived! He tested the battery and it turned out that was the problem!!! Five minutes and $119 later our car was running like a champ.

Merry Christmas to us!... we have a a brand new baby battery in our car (with a 6 year warranty!) WAhooo!

<-Me waiting in the cold car













Me when I found out all it needed was a new battery->










***We ended up leaving BYU at 6pm. Not quite as early as we had hoped, but we did end up going to Costco and ate dinner there so it ended up being a happy night for all involved.

3 comments:

Jason Bellows said...

Wow, I can't believe that battery was toast already. I put a brand new one in that car right before it went to Zach (seems like only a couple years ago). Zach must have left his lights on alot!

Glad you got it fixed so quick and easy.

From the pics, it looks like you got some snow. We've only been back in VA a week but Kristen and both already miss the mountains and the snow and our puppy Koda!

Rach said...

Thumbs down on being cold waiting for the repair man. Thumbs up on a new battery and yummy Costco dinner. I've never actually eaten there, but it's always tempting as I walk out with my full cart and empty tummy.

And, you are smart to have your camera handy for such moments as these.

Konfusion with a K said...

Aw Brooke!!! I hate car problems! I'm glad everything is okay though. At least you had your hubby to keep you company :)

Yay for it not ruining your plans either :)