Sunday, December 9, 2007

Winners and Losers

We went to the BYU vs. Michigan State basketball game up in Salt Lake yesterday. As I mentioned in my last post, I was determined to leave the arena a winner. I wore my BYU sweatshirt and my Michigan State t-shirt underneath. No matter the outcome of the game I would leave a fan of the winning team. Genius! I am proud to say that I wore my BYU sweatshirt for most of the game, as BYU was ahead until the end of the second half. Unfortunately, in true BYU fashion, we fell apart during the second half and the Spartans ended up winning. As planned, about 2 minutes before the end of the game, the sweatshirt came off. I left the Energy Solutions Arena with a smile and almost joined in with some overly excited and loud MSU fans yelling "Go green and white!" It was a fun game. As you can see in the picture, Zach is the loser and I am clearly the winner. :)

After the basketball game, we went to find some food for dinner. Over the past few months I have had an obsession with Panda Express, so I knew exactly where I wanted to go. We decided that we would go to Aaron's house in Cedar Hills on the way home so we waited to go eat until we were closer to his house. Everything was fine until we hit point of the mountain and the blizzard started. The roads were awful and people were freaking out in the snow. Traffic was slow and I was hungry; not a good combination. After making our way in the snow to Little Caesars to get Zach some pizza (he has gone to Panda Express with me probably 4 times in the past 7 weeks and was sick of it), we finally made it to Panda. I was hungry and cold and annoyed at the weather. I waited in line as the woman in front of me ordered the "Panda Feast" and took FOREVER selecting her bazillion sides. Finally it was my turn to order. I got my food and was ready to pay. The cashier was an overly cheery young man (everyone seems overly cheery when all you want to do is eat) who was far too interested in making conversation and not interested enough in running my card and giving me my cup for water as fast as he could. As always, I requested some soy sauce for my rice (it is far too dry and tasteless without at least two packets of soy sauce). He responded in his annoyingly cheery way, "Actually we are all out of soy sauce today." He said it like I was supposed to be happy and understanding about this news. I was neither and I didn't hide it very well. I think my exact words were, "Are you serious? Well that is the worst news I have ever heard." The poor cashier boy went on to explain that it was gone before his shift and it was just his job to tell people the bad news. This did not help. How does a Chinese restaurant run out of soy sauce!? And telling me that you have been out of soy sauce since before your shift does not help your case. That means that you have been out of this crucial condiment for at least 4 hours, which is plenty of time to go over to the grocery store and buy some soy sauce for the tables or something! I was not happy when I sat down with Zach to eat. In the end, it turned out fine and I ate my food, but I think that experience has officially ended my obsession with Panda for at least another 2 weeks.

If only I had been as prepared for dinner as I had been for the game; to come out a winner at all costs. On Monday I will search for a purse sized bottle of soy sauce so I will never be a soy sauceless loser eating dry fried rice for dinner again.

4 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

haha, I'm glad you came away winning...although it does pain me to see you in a Michigan State shirt. I've never been to Panda Express, but next time I go I'll make sure to bring my own soy sauce!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO DAUGHTER!!!! What a genious plan. You do look much better than your husband. He should know by now that Pops is always right (at least with MSU bball). I couldn't believe I had 2 people in my own house routing again MSU. Guess we showed them!!
Love the blog, sorry about the sauce.

Konfusion with a K said...

Seriously. How DOES a chinese food place run out of soy sauce? That's ridiculous! So awful. Yeah Michigan!! WOO! (I feel no guilt for saying that...HA!)

I got a really pretty shirt today at Target. I'll wear it when you come home :)

Sorry about the blizzard craziness!

Rach said...

I agree with Kat. That's like going to KFC and them saying they're actually out of chicken.

And hungry is to Brooke's attitude as sleepy is to mine. I can actually feel the grumpy growing in my body when it's past time for me to go to bed.