Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"It's for the baby."

We love our little green Saturn, we really do. It has been a great car for us. It gets us from point A to point B. It gives us little light shows in the dashboard; "check engine" "emergency brake" "service engine soon", you never know what she'll tell you when you turn her on. Silly girl. She has completely and fully met our auto needs for over three years now... but things are changing.

One of our most treasured features of the Saturn has been her automatic windows. We really appreciate the windows and the way they roll down in the summer time. Let's just say the AC doesn't function like it used to. Actually it would be more accurate to say that the AC doesn't function at all.

When it's just me and Zach in the car, this is not a problem. Sure it's annoying to have to wear my hair up every time we go anywhere and yea it does get beastly hot when we go on I-15 and the wind is too strong to keep the windows down any longer, but we manage.

When we found out we would be having our baby in June, our lack of AC suddenly became more of an issue. I could just see it: loading our brand new little guy in the car, rolling down all the windows and blowing him away! "Welcome to the family baby boy! This is how we do."

Now any rational person in our situation might look into getting the Saturn's AC fixed. To us, that sounds crazy. Why spend a couple hundred dollars to fix the car you have when you could spend thousands of dollars and just buy a new car!? So that is what we did.

As of yesterday at 12:24pm, we are the proud owners of a beautiful slate gray 2004 Toyota Matrix! I figured that since it was President's Day yesterday, we had no choice. It was our patriotic duty to spend money and help the economy. I really feel like we made all the dead U.S. presidents proud with our purchase.

We have been researching cars for a while now and the Matrix was our top choice. We found a really great deal on this one in Tremonton, UT (~2 hours North of Provo) and made a little road trip up there to check it out. Needless to say, it was love at first sight. We took her for a spin and the love only intensified from there. The woman that we bought the car from was super nice and had a friend that was a car dealer. He filled out all our paper work and worked everything out so that we don't have to step foot into the DMV! We get to just wait for them to mail us the license plates and title. Awesome.

This baby is getting to be a little expensive, but we love him! Having a newer car is great and I love driving it.


I do want to let little baby know, however, that this is it. We bought you a car. We are done. So in 16 years when you come to us wondering when we are going to get you a car, we will look at you with all the love in the world, point outside to our by then 20-year-old Toyota and say, "There it is baby, it's all yours. Hope the AC still works."

7 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Congrats! How fun. Your car looks great. I think you made a great purchase. Your baby boy is proud, I am sure. He will love snuggling in the car seat in the back of your air conditioned car. haha. I hope it lasts for 16 years!

Konfusion with a K said...

hahahah nice!!! He's gonna be like "awww MOM!" Congratulations on being a grown-up. I'm wondering when I'll get the chance :(

Mom & Dad said...

I can not tell who is smiling bigger Zach or Brooke in the 2 pictures....Great that you both liked it and it will be nice for you both and baby, too! Love, Mom B.

Kristen said...

It's a Toyota!! I'm sure it will still be kickin' in 16 years...LUCKY baby Bellows!!

Congrats on your new car...it's AWESOME (even in the dark)!!

Holly said...

Congratulations on finding a car! It looks really nice! New cars are fun!

Marissa Waddell said...

oh, brooke. you are hilarious.

p.s. nice car!

Rach said...

Wahoo! You guys are living the hatchback high life!