With finals drawing to a close, Zach had a little bit of free time yesterday afternoon. We decided to go out to eat for lunch. After a lot of thought, we decided to head over to Taco Bell to grab a quick bite before I had to get back to work. As we soon came to find out, we couldn't have timed our lunch break any worse. We went at noon. to the Taco Bell across the street from Provo High. Provo High has an open campus for lunch. Are you following me here?We walked into Taco Bell and I had to go back outside to make sure we were in the right place. There were high schoolers everywhere! It was like an awful flashback to my high school cafeteria, only I was older, wiser and pregnanter. I don't know about you, but I have a very short fuse when it comes to teenagers. They are just so annoying. So insecure. So loud! Zach and I got in line behind a "pack" of high school girls and it took everything I had to not turn around and call it quits. Who needs lunch anyway, right?
Luckily for us, there was a booth available in the corner of the restaurant so we weren't completely surrounded. It took quite some time before I could actually lower my annoyance level enough to listen to some of the conversations going on around me. Right in front of us were two beautiful young girls eating lunch together. One was talking about how everyone is "like so surprised when they find out I'm only like 16, they like totally think I'm 18 or something." Riiiight. The other one was talking about her boyfriend and described him as, and I quote, "totally controlling, but like in a good way, ya know?" Hmm. No, I don't.
I fear for her.
In the booth adjacent to ours was a punk looking boy with braces and a patch of highlighted hair in the front (basically the definition of cool) with a girl who's father obviously didn't see what she was wearing that day. They were sitting with a semi-normal looking blond boy who had one ear bud from his i-Pod in his ear the whole time. After listening to Punk Boy and Miss Skanky's conversation, I probably would have kept both ear buds in. Blond Boy walked up to the booth with the food and Punk Boy said something about paying him back. Blond Boy, a little upset, said, "Whatever dude, you owe me. I didn't even want to come here. I wanted to stay at school." Then he walked away to get drinks. As he was walking away, Miss Skanky said, "Why do we even need him anyway? Why does he have to come everywhere with us?"
I fear for Blond Boy.
After waiting a considerable amount of time for our meal, we finally got our food and finished lunch. The food was good, but I was so ready to get out of there. I really am not cut out for teenagers. Zach put it well when he said, "I just really don't see me getting along with our kids when they reach that age. I mean I'm sure I will love them and all, but I don't think I will like them that much."
You and me both, Zach. You and me both.
6 comments:
And just think...each one of those teenagers is some mother's baby. Believe it or not, they WILL grow up. Trust me, teenagers are like any population. There will be some obnoxious ones, but there are a lot of delightful ones, too. (They must have been eating lunch somewhere ELSE, however.)
Oh so true! I'm sorry that you had to experience all the drama again. I just don't get teenagers. Good thing that you won't have to deal with that for a good few years!
Ew. I shudder at what that sight must have looked like. UM AND PS, Open campus?! Excuse me?! I hate Fairfax County for that. I'm sorry you had to endure frightening conversations :(
And I'm sure YOUR kid will be sweet as pie even in their teenage years ;)
haha, I love my mom's positive outlook. I'm sure that YOU weren't an obnoxious teenager. haha. In church last week I was watching these girls totally talk during a whole lesson thinking, "I hope I didn't do that..."
ha ha ha. i know, teenagers can be SO irritating. teenagers and freshmen :)
Chris and I were actually just talking about teenagers last night, and about how they are so fully egotistical. And how some teenagers go through that stage more quickly than others. And how we both went through that stage in, like, 5 minutes tops. Oh, parenting will be the cruel revenge...
Post a Comment