Monday, February 23, 2009

Love Day 2009.

So it's true, another Valentine's Day has come and gone. I wish I could say it was more exciting and romantic than last year, but, sadly, I can not. I don't know if it was some kind of cruel hazing joke, but Zach's boss made him go to work on Valentine's Day morning. Boo, right? At first I thought him being at work would be great for me because I had a scavenger hunt planned for him and it would give me time to set it up while he was gone. I woke up at 7:30 am and by 7:35 am the clues were hidden, the love song mix was set up on iTunes and I was ready to go. So from 7:35 am to 9:30 am I waited. and felt sorry for myself. Zach did leave some beautiful flowers, delicious chocolates and a sweet card before he left, so it was hard to feel too sorry for myself though.

After what seemed like forever, Zach called and said he was on his way! I quickly showered and got ready for the day just in time for him to walk through the door. I made him do the scavenger hunt right away. I think he liked it. It was a love story scavenger hunt. I made it up myself and I have to say I think it turned out really good. I wrote memories of my and Zach's life together and put them in envelopes and hid them around the house with rhyming clues leading to each one. I wrote about the first time we held hands, our first kiss, our engagment night, etc. Zach got most of the clues right away. The only confusing one for him was the one that told him to "go to the chair where the baby likes to eat." The clue was hidden under Ryan's highchair. Zach went straight for the glider in the front room that I use for nursing. haha.

When we finished the scavenger hunt we ate lunch and went hiking! We bought a baby backpack off of craigslist and we were excited to try it out. We went to Red Rock Canyon and had a blast. We hiked about three or four miles along the beautiful Calico rocks. Ryan had the time of his life. Everytime I would call his name he would just laugh and laugh. I think we are going to get a lot of use out of our annual pass to Red Rock Canyon and that baby carrier.

We even found snow on our hike!
After we got home and Ryan took his afternoon nap we headed to Chili's for an awesome dinner. but not before I made us try to get a dorky family picture. We didn't have much luck because apparently the lighting in our house is awful. I like to think it looks artsy this way, maybe even a little vintage. Vintage or not, I think it's time we just cough up the mula and get a professional family photo taken already.
Ryan was great during dinner and even caught the eye of a little baby girl who was sitting in a highchair at the booth next to us. They would look at each other and laugh and coo. I guess you could say Ryan had a successful Valentine's Day too!

1 comment:

Mimi Collett said...

Your last paragraph combined with that picture of Ryan is just too cute/funny for words. :)

The hike looked way fun!

I just noticed you have Jill's due date on your calendar side bar. I am touched. :)

That stinks that he had to go in to work, but I'm glad it was just for the morning part!

You're so creative with your gifts, Brooke! And Jeff and I got a little chuckle out of the highchair/nursing chair confusion. :)