Well, this exact thing happened to me on Saturday and I about lost it! A black widow! A ginormous black widow was taking up residence right outside my back door. Creepy! Actually, beyond creepy.
Luckily, Zach was home so he went and got the bug killer and sprayed it directly on the spider. Then, for good measure, I got a baby food jar and filled it with nail polish remover and used the tongs from the grill to pick up the dying spider by the leg and put it in the jar. Scariest. freaking. experience. of. my. life. Can you even imagine if Ryan were out there and accidentally stumbled on it?! I don't even want to think about it.
Anyway, the thing was HUGE and it seemed like a waste to just throw it away so I made Lindsey look up online to see how hard it would be to encase it in plastic. (You know to give as a Christmas present or something, haha. no. seriously.) Turns out it is pretty easy but kind of expensive. So, for now, it is in the jar just sitting in the backyard until I decide what to do with it.
All I can say is CREEP-Y!
9 comments:
My sister Becca has found 4 BLACK widows in her backyard. When she found one last week, she didn't sleep.
Scary!
Lucky Chris and Rachel!!! Whew...thank God I am not in the running for this gift!!!!
OK--Zach get the best bug spray on the market and spray the perimeter of your house and garage so that when I come in September I can sleep at nite! I hate spiders worse than Brooke!!! Yuck--please more pics of Ryan--they are always nice!!
Holy cow!!! That thing is HUGE! How gross and scary!!! I'm so glad Zach was home to help you take care of it, and so glad Ryan didn't find it first. Yuck. Just looking at it gives me the heebie jeebies...!
so Brooke. 1-you are a superhero. I hate anything that is worm size or smaller, and the deadly kind adds another element of gross. 2-don't be weirded out but when my sister was visiting Texas she brought home a scorpion and a long horn beetle or something nasty. My dad put them in resin/epoxy and it was super easy and i don't think it was very expensive. Basically he just got a mold (can be anything plastic that will hold shape. filled the bottom with a layer of resin, let it harden, placed critter on top and filled with more resin, then a top coat for good measure. Now we have two oversized ice cube looking things with nasty bugs inside....try it out.
That's awesome. You definitely wouldn't like living in Texas. Everything really is BIGGER here. But I haven't encountered any black widows in my killing of spiders and large insects. And I haven't made a shrine to them either. Props to you. You're a regular exterminator now!
Ugh. Shaking and kind of wanting to throw up. That's awful. And scary. I am way glad you found it and not Ryan.
On related note, I am having a spider problem right now. There is a spider making its web across the corner where the fence door touches the house (how I get into the backyard to the front door of our little apartment in the basement). I thought it was just a cobweb, but then it kept getting made again, and yesterday I saw the spider for the first time. It was black and gray. Not as big as yours, but with the legs, probably about a dime. I couldn't kill it though, because I was holding something and it scurried away too quickly. So it's still lurking there.
I'm considering just giving up. It's not that big of a deal to not go out the door . . .
I am definitely thinking what you are thinking. And I'm thinking that Chris will love you forever.
Brooke. Only YOU could think of making this into a craft project. Maybe a Christmas ornament?
Post a Comment