Ryan and I went to the dry cleaners today. I don't even know who I am anymore. Me? The dry cleaners? When did I become OLD? Anyway, not the point. So we went to the dry cleaners and were headed to the grocery store when I got the urge to do something different. I pulled out the trusty old GPS and told it to show me the nearest "Parks/Gardens".
(I know, my GPS rocks. But that's a different post for a different day.) A whole list of parks came up on my screen and I just randomly picked one. Our new destination: Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs.
Turns out, this park is just a couple minutes from my house. Like, I could walk there. Who knew?! The admission was $6 but it was worth it. Ryan has been in a funk*. A crazy, terrible, whiny, crying funk. We could both use an afternoon out of the house. A change of scenery and a little adventure is just what we needed today.

If it were up to Ryan, we would have never made it past the parking lot. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. I was not about to let the $6 admission go to waste, so I eventually forced him into the actual park.

There were lots of peacocks just running loose. Some people had bread and were trying to feed them. Do peacocks even eat bread? I guess these ones do. Next time we come we will bring bread.

Toward the back of the property there were little shacks with animals in them. Animal shacks, if you will. These animal shacks housed pigs and sheep and goats. Only one goat came out to greet Ryan and I. The others were way too smart and stayed in the shade. It looks like summer will never end here in Vegas and it was over 90 degrees again today. In the sun, that is still really hot!
On a side note, seems like pretty fancy fences for a dumpy old animal shack, dontcha think?

There were chickens in some chicken coops. Luckly, Ryan was less than interested. I don't know why, but of all the barnyard animals, I think I dislike chickens the most. They are right after geese and right before turkeys on my "Farm Animals I Dislike" list. Interestingly enough, that list could double as my "Top Favorite Meats to Eat" (minus the geese of course). Ryan had one hand in his mouth pretty much the whole time we were there. Not really what a mother likes to see at a dirty, germy farm; but I wasn't about to unleash funky* Ryan over a little bit of dirt and most likely farm animal waste in his mouth. (That sounded a lot more reasonable in my head...)

The farm animals weren't all that interesting, but a pile of dirt inside a 6-foot chain link fence? Now, THAT is entertainment! We spent a lot of our time looking at this pile of dirt and a few tractors behind this fence. I don't know why I feel bored as a mother sometimes. Seriously, a pile of dirt. Fascinating.


After about an hour, a water break, and one last survey of the parking lot
(it was still cool) we were ready to head back home.

Once we got home, Ryan- the child who has refused to take a second nap for 5 days straight- went down for a nice, long two hour nap.
I would gladly pay $6 for that any day. :)
Also, we have no groceries for dinner tonight.
6 comments:
haha I love that you didn't want to "unlease" the "funk" in Ryan. haha. WHO knew there was such a wonderful place so close to your house!
I need to see this list of farm animals you dislike. Too funny.
"unleash" *sorry.
I hope Ryan feels happy again soon. I know how wearing that is on the mommy. You must be going crazy! Come over to our house!
I LOVE that park! next time check out the ponds, there really cool. I totally agree about geese and chickens, not a big fan! Have you checked out the bird sanctuary? It just off Buffalo and Racel. Really cool, Birds in cages (not running around) and you can feed the ducks/geese/swans without getting attacked :) It's about $5 for grumps and $1 for kids. It makes for a fun outing :D Good luck! I remember being really bummed when my kids gave up the second nap.
Long live the second nap...it hasn't disappeared completely (yet). Mmmm... "one hand in his mouth the whole time". Sounds like those teeth are still working their way through that poor little boy's gums. I wish you both the best of luck with that.
Hehe. You got lots of laughs from me with this post. :) It is so funny what kids decide is fascinating. I don't understand it! I am glad you guys had fun at the park and that he finally got some sleep. And I wish I lived next door, so you could just come over for dinner when you didn't have groceries. :(
I love that he didn't want to leave the parking lot. What a funny kid.
Post a Comment