Monday, December 13, 2010

Chik-chik-chik glug glug

Today I took Ryan, Brady and Roxy to the neighborhood park. I was having a picture-perfect mommy moment. You know the kind, the ones you want to bottle up and keep forever so you can pull them out on the days your kid steps in dog poop and tracks it through the house (read: yesterday), just so you can remember that you really do love being a mom and that staying home with your kids is actually fun.Yea, it was one of those. Brady had been awake in his stroller for 20 minutes making sweet, happy baby songs to the leaves above him. Ryan was entertaining himself on the slide and I was throwing the ball for Roxy who would obediently bring it back every time. Eventually, Brady started complaining and I went over, put his binky in, covered him with the stroller shade and just like that he fell asleep. It was such a perfect trip to the park that I called my mom right then and there to tell her about it. Not kidding.

I continued throwing the ball for the dog and Ryan would check in every now and then to show me a cool rock, an old plastic spoon, a big leaf, etc. It was pure bliss.

Then I heard it. Chik-chik-chik glug glug. Sprinklers? In December? At 12 in the afternoon?! I looked over to where Brady was peacefully sleeping in his stroller. Then as if in slow motion, I see sprinkler heads rising out of the ground surrounding the stroller on all sides! You have never seen a chubby mom run so fast. I sprinted over and ran with the stroller to safety. I felt like super mom. No joke.

The amazing thing: Brady stayed asleep.

After that Ryan ran through the sprinklers, Roxy dropped the ball in the middle of the field and ran over to the sprinklers to get a drink- both getting soaked in the process.

Perfect moment over.

With Brady still asleep, I let Ryan and Roxy play a little while longer. Then we headed home to get dry. Ryan was totally cooperative when it was time to go. So I guess the sprinklers didn't ruin the whole day. :)

December 13, 2010- 66 degrees.
Wait, you mean you mean you didn't run through the sprinklers today?
Oh, Vegas.

5 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

haha, awesome. It TOTALLY was warm today though, so I know you weren't an irresponsible parent for letting Ryan get wet. Oh Vegas :) Glad that the sprinklers didn't TOTALLY ruin the moment...if anything, Ryan and Roxy thought that they enhanced the moment I bet :)

Empty Nester said...

Since the wind chill this morning at 10 am (close to Vegas 2 pm) was 11 below..no, I didn't even think about running thru the sprinklers.

Mimi Collett said...

Haha the school district I live in was actually canceled today. We got a lot of snow last night. It was beautiful today, but definitely not warm. :)

You had better never call yourself a chubby mom again. You can call yourself super mom though. I'm way impressed that you beat the sprinklers.

Yay for perfect moments!!

Jodi said...

I wish it was 66 degrees here! I guess you earned it by sweating through the summer. The sprinkler story is my favorite...I laughed and laughed. Still sounds like a great mommy moment.

Janice Richardson said...

Oh! That sounds fun! :)