We are adjusting to living in a two bedroom apartment. I definitely miss the space while Brady is napping and Ryan and I are looking for something to do, but other than that we haven't really missed the house in Orem. It is reassuring to know that we can be as happy in a small apartment as we are in a spacious house. The boys have been sharing a room and things seem to be going well (cross your fingers!) It helps that we wear them out every day. They laugh and giggle a little when we first put them down but they do settle down and go to sleep without any intervention eventually.
The boys and I haven't skipped a beat since coming here. I was lucky enough to meet a really awesome woman in our ward who invited us to a go to a community pool with a bunch of other moms from the ward on Monday and then to a park day on Tuesday. At the park on Tuesday another woman in the ward invited us to go to the library for story time this morning and tomorrow we are meeting up with the group of moms to do a Stretch-and-Grow exercise class for the boys. On Friday we are going to check out the local Splash Pad with a friend from BYU-I and her son (her husband is also doing an internship for Walmart this summer). And I thought we stayed busy with friends and play dates in Provo! There are so many moms with little boys in this ward! I feel really lucky that friendship have fallen into place on their own and am excited to get to know the women in my ward better. I wasn't sure what our friend situation would be out here since we are here so short term but the women here have been so welcoming. It's been awesome and makes me want to be a better friend to new-comers from now on.
We have been to a couple parks that have their swings low enough to the ground that Ryan can get on them on his own and he loves it! He even pumps his legs if I can give him an initial push. He is growing up so fast and it is so so weird.
Monday afternoon was a little long being cooped up in the apartment waiting for Zach to get home so on Tuesday morning we went out and bought a little inflatable pool to put on our porch. We are on the second story so we don't have easy access to the lawn. This worked like a charm and the boys loved it because we filled it with bath water so it was nice and warm.
Popsicles in the pool. It doesn't get more summer than that! When we were done with the pool I just dumped the water off the side of the porch. Luckily the people below us weren't out on their porch at the same time- it was a major waterfall! I hadn't even thought to check but I will have to remember to check for them next time!
We have a magnolia tree in the back. My mom's bedroom is decorated with magnolias so I think of her every time I see it.
We finally got a new wheel for the Phil and Teds jogging stroller yesterday and I couldn't wait to give it a spin. So this morning Ryan rode his bike and I pushed the stroller on this great trail right by our apartment. It was my favorite thing we have done so far. There is a park about two miles down the path. I'd like to run them to the park, let them play and then run back a couple mornings a week. Ryan had so much fun on his bike- not having to worry about cars or stop signs or anything. He was in bike heaven.
We saw squirrels and bunnies and even a cat on our walk/bike ride. Brady was loving the wildlife! We even found this stump that someone cut into a seat. Ryan thought it was pretty cool.
With all our activities in the morning, Brady has been taking really good naps while we've been here. Ryan on the other hand has been struggling. He gets up super early in the morning and then refuses to nap and is so so so cranky by the time Zach gets home. I tried letting him lay down in my room yesterday to get some sanity time for me but he never actually slept. He just pretended he was fishing off the bed with Zach's computer cord the whole time. Today I reversed it and told him I was going to lay down (and I actually got a 30 minute nap! Heaven.) and left him in front of the TV on the couch. This is what I woke up to find:
Success!
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well we have adjusted to life in Arkansas. We have a few fun activities that we are saving for Saturdays (a Safari Drive Zoo, a Railroad, a few different hikes, etc.) when Zach can join us. And we seem to have plenty to do to keep us busy during the week. We miss our friends in Orem and will definitely be ready to go back at the end of summer but I am excited for the next 11 weeks!









4 comments:
What a good blog! I'm so happy you all are adjusting so quickly and finding friends with fun things to do. I need you as a neighbor again. My fun factor for exponentially increase.
I'm so glad people are being so friendly & that you have so much to do!!! I am feeling quite the opposite these days--not enough to fill our days anymore. We just bought a little splash mat & swimming pool, and I keep thinking how much more fun it would be to have Brady & Ryan to enjoy it with us. Glad you're having fun, but I hope these 11 weeks go by fast!!! :)
P.S. I'm SO glad the boys have been doing well with sharing a room!!! I hope it stays that way!
I LOVE THEM!!! AAHHHHH I MISS THEM! TELL THEM HI FOR ME!!!
Post a Comment