Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Nursery Makeover

February 2016 / March 2016:

With this being my last baby, I really wanted to decorate a nursery for him. I had never had the chance to decorate a room just for the baby with any of my other kids: Ryan because we were in a one bedroom apartment, Brady because his bedroom doubled as the guest room and Camden because I knew we would only be living in Orem for a few more weeks after he was born. So with baby #4 I let my nesting instincts run wild! And it was fun. 

Just like every good room makeover we started with the walls. 

Before
After watching me paint the big boy room, Ryan expressed interest in helping me paint the nursery. If anyone knows me at all they know I am liiiiiiiiiiittle bit of a control freak. Letting him help paint was hard, like physically painful. But I did it. and it was worth it. and he didn't spill paint or get any on the baseboards. #hallelujah



All my neurotic mothering aside, it was super sweet to watch him paint his baby brother's room and to see how excited he was to help out. And like most tasks that kids think will be fun and have the potential of being really helpful, he was bored of it fairly quickly and left to go over to a friends' house. And I breathed a huge sigh of relief and and repainted over everything he had done. Enter my neurotic mothering.


We painted a base coat before installing the board and batten.


And then I fell in love with Zach all over again when he spent one evening building me this:


And when it was all painted it was glorious!


Here is a progression shot. I painted the ceilings and all the walls and installed new (beautiful!) curtains.


I wanted a woodland theme. I saw those antlers like two years ago at Smith's Marketplace and knew I had to have them. I just never had a good place for them. Until now. They were my favorite purchase (and they were on sale! Holla!) I knew I wanted to incorporate foxes but couldn't settle on a print I loved (not to mention they all cost more than I was willing to pay) so I took a 12x12 canvas I already had and painted my own. Free is fun and I love how it turned out. I also love the pop of color it adds to the room.


Foxes are the cutest. When I saw this mom and baby at Ikea I couldn't help myself.


These drawers give me life. They were gifted to me by my mother in law and not only are they gorgeous, but they are super functional too. I can fit literally everything I need for the baby. Burp cloths, bibs, blankets, toys, bottles, clothes and I even have a couple drawers to spare!


Final "Ta Da!" picture. What you can't see is the rocker in the corner by the window and some floating shelves above the rocking chair. Also, the double doors to the closet on the wall opposite of the crib.


I completed the nursery on March 9th and realized that I had nothing to do but wait until the baby was born from there on out. The nursery had been my outlet and my distraction to get me through the last few weeks of pregnancy. It was a long last month twiddling my thumbs waiting on baby boy!

____________________________________

*We had a "B" name in mind for the baby and were pretty sure we were going to use it, hence the "B" on the wall. A trip to Hobby Lobby for a replacement "C" was one of my first errands I ran after Connor was born! 

2 comments:

Holly said...

I love when you get in a blogging streak! And I love these room transformations!! So cute & so fun!!

Mimi Collett said...

That looks amazing! I love the wall. I never decorated a nursery. We moved too much, and I always had the baby share, so I guess I never really had a nursery. Yours is so cute though! Maybe someday we'll decorate bedrooms in a cool way. I'm blown away by the foxes you painted! So talented!!