Sunday, October 9, 2011

Cougar Run 2011

Anne and I ran the Cougar Run 5k together on Saturday. It was for BYU's homecoming and it is the second time Anne and I have run in it together. The last time we participated was in 2008. So much has happened since then. Anne has been on a mission and is back, I have been to Vegas, had a baby and am now back in Provo. Who would have thunk it?!

Ryan was really excited for the race. He thought he was going to run it with me. Luckily, warming up on the track with me seemed to fulfill his racing expectations for the day. He ran back and forth many many times. Next year I think I will just sign him up for the kid's races. He will do great.

After I had to go check in and get ready at the starting line, Ryan raced Zach. Ryan is wearing the race shirt I got with my registration fee. I don't think I will be able to get it back from him. He loved it and tried to wear it all day long.

Brady was a champion. It was freezing cold and we didn't bring his shoes. He wanted so badly to get down and walk around, but he was a trooper and stayed in Zach's arms the whole time. Isn't my sister so pretty?!
Showing off our numbers.
I finished the race in 27 minutes. Right behind the first place winner (of the 70 and over category)! I thought it was especially fitting because I turned 27 that same day!
After going out to eat at Noodles and Co., we came home for some ice cream cake Zach bought me. He is the best. and so is ice cream cake. 27 candles is a lot. I let Ryan help me blow them out. He loves birthdays.
Baskin Robbins ice cream cakes = successful birthday.
After cake, I got to go to the temple with my mom, Anne and Zach. It was great to be able to all go together. It was the first time I had been with Anne. After that we left the kids with my mom and Anne and Zach and I (that's a lot of "and"s) went out to eat, spent a couple hours shopping (bless Zach's heart) and saw Captian America in the dollar theater (oh how I missed that crappy little theater). I'm pretty sure it was my best birthday yet!

8 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

That does sound like a fantastic birthday! And I'm so impressed that you ran another 5K! I've still never done one. I used to have a goal to do one this year, but then I got tired and the friend that was going to do it with me couldn't, so I stopped exercising. My goal for when I'm home for vacation is to start exercising again though, even if I am tired. Because then I think I will have more energy.

Best part of babies that still wake up at 6:30 even though we are on vacation? A sunrise on the beach at 7:15!

Empty Nester said...

Good job on the 5K. We do need to do a Turkey Trot of something in St. George though I will still be behind you at the finish!!!! 27??? I don't believe it!!!!

Deanna said...

Happy Birthday! Running a 5K and going to the temple w/ family sounds like the best birthday ever! 2 of my favorite things (running 5Ks and the temple).

Holly said...

Yay! I'm so glad you had a good birthday! Good for you for CHOOSING to run on your birthday! :) I totally forgot about the 5K otherwise I would have wished you good luck. We can't wait to see you guys this week--Tucker keeps asking to play with his friend Ryan! :)

Christine and Nick said...

you can tell you have been running, you look fantastic! We'll have to do a race together sometime!

Angela and Mike said...

Brooke, happy birthday! You are a running pro these days. And seeing Ryan running beside you is the best. Umm...so it is totally crazy...that this blog post made me cry? I don't know what's into me. But I'm pretty sure it deals with me missing you and seeing that little Ryan that I love and miss so much. Oh how I miss Colton having his best friend around...and me having mine! You look absolutely gorgeous by the way. Happy belated birthday!

Anonymous said...

A rare post from Pops but this definitely deserves it. My daughter-in-law and grandson running - what a way to my heart. I'm thinking Zach may have a ways to go to beat his wife :-). You can't get a better B-day than a PR and temple trip. All the best!!

Kristen said...

Way to go Brooke!! You rock :) What an awesome 5k time. I aspire to run like you when I grow up. (I may never be that fast...ever)

I'm so glad you had a great birthday too.