Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Trip To Virginia: Great Falls

Zach and I both grew up in Virginia- which pretty much sums up why we are both so awesome (In case you were wondering). Sadly, Zach's parents retired a little over a year ago and moved to St. George (but I'm not that sad about it. St. George is closer and warmer and did I mention closer? We LOVE having them there!). Devastatingly, however, my parents are gearing up to retire and move out West later this year. In a desperate attempt to soak in every last drop of my home before I become utterly homeless- no better than a drifter- I insisted that we go to my childhood hometown one last time with the boys. 

We left Salt Lake insanely early on February 3rd. 

Virginia bound- my heart was so happy.
We may or may not have bought an iPad so Camden could watch Curious George during the flight. #desperatetimes #desperatemeasures #dontjudge


The older boys got some good Subway Surfer time in as well. How we ever traveled without an iPad is now a mystery to me. It was worth every penny.


Camden wants to be just like his brothers and insisted on wearing Brady's backpack off the plane.


"Virginia is the best." I will 100% forever stand behind that statement. However... it may not have been at it's best while we were visiting. It. was. freezing. Like 30 degree high, freeze your face off if you step outside cold. My mom and I went walking one morning and it was 18 degrees- not our best move.

So when it randomly warmed up into the 50's one day while we were there, we jumped on the opportunity to take the kids to see Great Falls Park.


My dad loves to go rock climbing. He's been rock climbing at Great Falls for years and years. When I was a kid he was always forcing asking us to go with him. I do not love rock climbing (mostly because I am terrible at it). I guess I've always felt a little bad that my dad and I couldn't bond over scrambling up the sides of mountains but I do get some satisfaction from the fact that I created little human beings that are eager to go rock climbing with my dad. My boys- especially Brady- absolutely loved it!


I spent most of my time following Camden around making sure he didn't get washed away in the Potomac. In the end I was successful in keeping him both safe and dry- despite his repeated attempts to end the day in tragedy.



My gift to you dad:

Finally, an eager rock climbing apprentice. Go ahead. Teach him everything you know. Bless you, Brady man. :) 



I spent many Saturday mornings that turned into afternoons throwing rocks into the Potomac with my mom. I loved watching my boys get to do the same thing.


And what's a family vacation without a little dorky family selfie action?!

Complete with a dorky caption: CHEESE! 





After rock climbing for a bit we headed to the Visitor's Center. I think we walked through the doors literally 3 minutes before it was scheduled to close. We are those people.




It was a fun outing. The boys didn't want to leave. They could have stayed forever. We were so lucky that the weather cooperated just long enough for us to explore Great Falls one last time. I will always have fond memories of this place and I am so happy that now my boys will too! 

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

My heart! My heart!! I can't do it! I wish we could spend time with you guys back home! Hopefully Rick and I will remember to take cool pictures while we're there in the summer for you guys and we can just pretend we took the same vacation together, even though yours was 13 degrees and mine will likely be 103.

Jodi said...

I am glad we got in at least one nice outdoor day while you were here. Hopefully there is more rock climbing with Brady in Dad's future. It will be fun for them and take the pressure off the rest of us :)

Holly said...

Looks so fun! (and beautiful!) And I, for one, LOVE your cheesy family selfie! Family selfies--especially where everyone is smiling--are the best! :) (And that picture of Camden wearing Brady's backpack is so stinkin' adorable!!)

Mimi Collett said...

Great Falls is such a fun park.

And I know what you mean about not being able to go back home and feeling homeless. It is rough when the parents move away from home even if we don't live with them anymore. That's nice that they are moving closer to you though! But still. The house. The memories. Sigh.

Brady is the cutest little mountain climber!