Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend 2015

Zach was out of town for the whole week leading up to Memorial Day weekend. We missed him so much during the week and we were determined to make the most of our time together as a family over the long weekend. On Friday afternoon Zach got home a little early from work and we loaded up the van and headed up the canyon for roasted hot dogs and s'mores with the Poultons. We beat the Poultons up the canyon by about at hour so we had plenty of time to set up our spot and explore before they arrived. We even tested out our new roasting sticks using strawberries. The boys loved it. 




The canyon was empty that night and we were the only ones at our picnic site. It worked out perfectly that we brought Roxy. She had the night of her life just roaming around off leash and running around with all the crazy kids. She did get into trouble once when she decided to jump in and swim across the river to get to the kids on the other side instead of going around onto the bridge. She definitely earned her bath at the end of the night. Wet dog smell is real! We hadn't seen the Poultons in what seemed like forever so it was a lot of fun to catch up with them and let the kids play together. They brought stuff for s'mores and some Starbursts to roast. I think Starbursts have become a staple for every fire we have from here on out. They were a hit!


On Saturday morning I went for a run and got home in just enough time to make it to Ryan's 9am soccer game. After the game Zach and the boys went to hunt for golf balls on the golf course while I threw a picnic lunch together. Once the lunch was ready we loaded the kids up in the van and drove up the canyon to Cascade Springs. The boys and I have been once before with my mom but Zach had never been. I was all prepared to face the crowds but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were none. There were only about 4 cars in the parking lot and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Pictures don't do it justice. It is beautiful!



Camden was in a goofy mood. There is a network of boardwalks that zig-zag back and forth across the springs. Camden must have leaned too far over at one point because he slow-mo rolled into the springs. I was grabbing for him but couldn't get a firm grip and he ended up with half his pant leg soaked. He was upset for just few seconds before he was off being his goofy self again.


The springs were fun but it was a little chilly and everyone was getting hungry. We took out the map to find a picnic area only to discover that the closest ones were clear on the other side of the canyon almost back home. We gave all the kids a little snack to hold them over and then drove almost all the way back home before finding a suitable spot to stop and eat in American Fork Canyon.


After the kids finished eating we hiked around a little and explored. We probably could have gone on forever if Camden hadn't needed a new diaper so we turned around.


When we got home Camden took a nap while Zach and the boys playing the WiiU. Right as Camden was waking up from his nap we snatched him out of bed and headed down to Thanksgiving Point to catch the 4pm movie about planes on the Mammoth screen. This was the first time we watched a movie on their giant screen and it was so fun! It was nice because the movie was just under an hour- holding Camden's attention up until the last ten minutes or so. We bought popcorn and sat on the very top row as per Ryan's request. It was really fun to go out as a family. After the movie we walked around the Dinosaur Museum for a little bit- I forget that Ryan hasn't been in a while! We always go while he is at school so he really enjoyed looking at everything again and was disappointed when we didn't stay and dig for bones on the way out. (It was getting too close to dinner time and I promised to bring him back this summer.) On the way home we picked up Costa Vida salads for Zach and I and Little Caesar's pizza for the kids.

Sunday morning meant baths for everyone. Ryan and Brady take showers now so that leaves Camden in the bathtub all alone. I decided to make it a bubble bath and I guess we haven't done bubbles in a long time because Camden was fascinated! He wouldn't even look away long enough for me to take a picture.


After church I convinced everyone to make my Mother's Day dream of a picture come true.


They look a little disheveled after three hours of church but I'll take what I can get!


Zach was tight on time trying to make it out the door to go home teaching, but he was kind enough to snap a picture of me and the boys. If we had had more time I would have loved to get a neighbor to come take a family picture. Maybe next time!


On Monday morning I woke up bright and early to go run in the Run of Remembrance 10K Memorial Day run in American Fork. I've run this race a few times before and it is always a highlight of my Memorial Day. I was happy to see I hadn't slowed down too much over past year finishing in just over 55 minutes. I had my little cheerleaders at mile 4 and at the finish line. I am so grateful to Zach for how supportive he is. It was so fun to hear their little voices and see their little faces during the race!


The boys stopped for donuts on their way to the run and saved them to eat at the finish line after I was done. Ryan and Brady came out from the crowd and ran the last 50 feet and crossed the finish line with me. Camden tried to take off after them and turned around with a heartbroken face when he realized he couldn't keep up. Next year I'll have to remember to scoop him up and carry him across the finish line with us!

After the run we went home so I could shower and Zach could organize his tools in the garage. At about 11am we loaded up and headed down to Thanksgiving Point to meet the Smiths and walk the gardens together. The kids had a blast running wild and enjoyed feeding the fish and finding the Secret Gardent. After the gardens we all headed back to our house for lunch and let the kids play for a little while longer.

When the Smiths left Camden and Brady took long naps while Zach and Ryan went to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls. I hung back with the nappers and tried to make some headway updating this blog. (Holla!)

Ryan spent the evening feeling sick to his stomach and turned in for the night at about 4:30pm! Brady and Zach made cookies and played the WiiU while Camden and I got to snuggle and read books on the couch. It was a great way to end a great weekend (other than Ryan being sick! He woke up the next morning feeling fine btw.) It was refreshing to spend so much time together as a family and just made us more excited for our Bailey Beach Week in just 6 more days!

3 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Great photos of the boys!

Holly said...

Such a fun weekend & I'm so glad we were able to spend some time with you guys! How does it feel being 100% COMPLETELY caught up on your blog??!! Way to go!! I haven't had that feeling for a long time... ;)

Lindsey said...

Yay! My goal is to be all updated before we leave, but between reading your posts and having a ton of pictures to sift through, I don't know if it will happen! It looks like you guys had an awesome weekend - wish we could have been there with ya!